Monday, July 31, 2006

failures and successes

Dear everyone,

Before going to the theatre yesterday to see Clerks II, I was very optimistic about my 20-mile run. Before I watched the World Poker Tour while eating a salmon burger, I was somewhat optimistic about my 20-mile run. By the time I got myself out the door, I was less than optimistic. Why? Because it was already 8 p.m. and I wasn't looking forward to running through the sketchy St. Clair and Weston Road neighbourhood after dark; because I knew that by the time I got to my "must tack on an extra kilometre or so" detour south to Front Street I would definitely not be in the mood for it; because the new, lovely New Balance shoes I bought yesterday made my left foot go numb before I even left the house.

Anyway, I stopped at Pape and Danforth after running only 12 miles. I felt defeated and somewhat lazy, really, but on the subway ride of shame back to R's house, I resolved to RUN THE TWENTY MILES ON THURSDAY, DAMMIT. The upper-case lettering is to remind me to do it. Or else. I'm planning to leave from work and do an east-west trip. Plussss, I get to run my next long run in...wait for it...Chicahhhhgo!

Of course, the "SUCCESS!" portion of this post comes from people other than me. A number of people have made very, very generous donations to my campaign over the past week, and I'd like to send a wee shout-out their way maintenant:

**P, R's friend in Japan who is visiting Toronto and whom I might be able to thank in person!
**S, tireless volunteer at the Ministry of Environment's United Way campaign!
**T, fellow Sponsored Employee and all-around fabulous guy!

Finally, I do get the feeling that I may have neglected to mention a few people on this blog, despite having written to thank them personally: I hope to fix this shortly by posting a list of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone who's donated, anonymous-ified, of course.

Love from,

Sarah

PS I promise I'll make it to the finish line in Reykjavik in one piece.
PPS Really!

No comments: